“How you respond to adversity determines the story you write.”
Life came at Ben hard and fast. When he was 6 months old, his divorcee mom was diagnosed with a rare disease and given only a few years to live.
The above quote is one Ben gleaned from his mother’s journal*, which he received 10 years after she passed. The time capsule of her positive attitude preserved in the journal swept Ben away. Today, he shares her worldview as a performance coach, speaker and author.
You’re going to love Ben’s story, heart + concrete tools to build the business and life you want. Don’t miss it.
- Life is tough but we have it in us to keep fighting.
- Black boxes: We all have these places where we tuck away things we aren’t ready to deal with. (For me, that was my mom’s journal.) The stuff that takes you deep and makes you ask: Is it time for me to go there?
- Don’t wait too long to take on the stuff that hurts. Real challenges show real character. Have courage and surround yourself with people who help give you that courage. That’s when you’ll find a deeper level of inner success.
- Everybody has a story and everyone is writing their story. My goal with clients is to help him/her connect on a deeper level to what he/she is capable of achieving.
- Right where you are, right now, in your life: It is part of your story. It’s likely not the end; just a chapter.
- Learn and grow where you are. The life you want, you can get if you:
- Have a strong vision.
- Believe in that vision.
- Are willing to put the work in every day.
- Why am I trying to control something I can’t control? When I asked this question, it helped me move on in my professional path.
- Think about where you want to go, personally and professionally. Write it on paper “I am: a marathon runner” and believe in it. “I am at this level in sales.” Once you understand where you’re going, that’s how you build a prize fighter day.
- Make every day a “prize fighter day.” What does this mean? Take your goal and break it down into what you need to do today to ensure you eventually meet your goal. If you spend your day this way, you’re having a prize fighter day.
- Darren Hardy, The Compound Affect
- Create habits that are sustainable longterm.
- A successful mindset is one where we focus on solutions rather than the problem.
- Focusing on solutions rather than problems = the power to reframe.
- Identify what you can do that is positive and keep your mind on that.
- How you choose to respond to adversity determines the story you write.
- Ben’s purpose statement: to educate, empower and inspire individuals to uncover their passions and desires to seek a greater vision for themselves.
- If you don’t know why you’re doing something, identify the purpose because it’s what is going to get you back up.
- @ContinuedFight on twitter and Instagram
*Ben’s mom’s journal:
BEN NEWMAN’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? Discover your Destiny, Robin Sharma. If you’re looking to find your purpose, this is a great fable format that will do it for you.
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. Donate to Barnes Jewish Hospital in honor of my mother. We donate a lot for my mom, so I’d want my wife to get to pick some places to donate to her passions, too. I would definitely fly on a private jet because it is hard to be on the road and miss family time. To catch 30 – 40 more nights at home? I would do it!
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. My mom’s journal.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? My mom. I would just hold her hand and hug her and I’d be crying so hard I couldn’t speak.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? It’s not how long you live it’s how you choose to live your life. Advice from my mom.
6. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself at age 20? Never settle; emotionally and in relationships especially.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Leave your legacy.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe (automatically get new episodes), rate & review (help spread the word!) this podcast anywhere you get your podcasts.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Today is your day. Live Inspired.
Thanks for being here. Thanks for being part of the movement to live inspired and touch lives along the way. If you ever have questions or ideas – please share them at email@example.com.