The words we say to ourselves, speak to others and hear from others create the world in which we live.
Words have the power to elevate, encourage, inspire and ignite hope. And they have the capacity to belittle, disparage, depress and incite anger. With so much vitriol in many of the conversations taking place in the media, in politics, and around our community: I wanted to share a few life-affirming, encouraging quotes that inspire me.
These 10 quotes are from one of my dear friends, Mark Sanborn.
Mark is a legendary speaker, the author of the wildly popular The Fred Factor, and he released his book The Potential Principle earlier this month. He’s also an expert in equipping others to become better leaders by harnessing the power of their words, actions and lives:
- “There is a massive difference between fame and greatness.”
- “People love to take credit, but place blame.”
- “Good leaders make heroes of others.”
- “We are responsible for living in a way that shows others who we truly are and what we believe.”
- “It’s not the job you have, it’s how you do the job you have.”
- “The only thing better than acknowledgment is action.”
- “You are the spark that sets others on fire when you initiate.”
- “It takes just about the same amount of time to be a nice guy as it does to be a jerk.”
- “The test of leadership is this: Is anything or anyone better because of you?”
- “Managers maintain. But leaders improve, grow and inspire.”
- (On my most recent Live Inspired podcast, Mark joined me and shared context for these quotes. He also shared his life story – the amazing challenge that ultimately led him to be a speaker – the backstory to his most successful books and how we can each grow into better versions of ourselves. Listen to the interview here. You’ll be glad you did…and so will those with whom you work and live!)
My friends, in a marketplace that too frequently uses words as weapons, let’s choose to use ours to help those in need, heal those who are discouraged and remind others that the best is yet to come.
This is your day. Live (and speak) Inspired.
What’s your favorite quote? Do you have a quote you love, hang on your mirror or have on your heart to stay inspired? Share in the comments below and one lucky winner will receive a special gift.