How to Transform Failure into Success
“It was out of abject failure that I learned to speak.”
My friends, today we get to hang out with legendary speaker Mark Sanborn who has spoken around the world 2,500+ times, authored the wildly popular The Fred Factor and just released The Potential Principle.
Mark will share his story about being a boy in 4H Club who failed at presenting a 5-minute speech… and how he transformed that failure into a successful speaking career.
As Mark says: “We enjoy our successes but learn more from our setbacks.” Join us and get ready to transform challenges into an inspired life.
- Nobody can prevent you from choosing to be extraordinary.
- It was out of abject failure that I learned to speak. I bombed so badly giving a 5-minute speech in grade school it made me want to learn to write and deliver a winning speech.
- When someone says it doesn’t matter, usually they’re just minimizing disappointment.
- We enjoy our successes but learn a lot more from our setbacks.
- Look for the pain in your life; often there’s an opportunity there.
- Lock in greatness, fame is fickle. Greatness is about contribution and that is where you have control.
- If you blame your failures on others, you can’t own your successes. Leaders take responsibility but give credit.
- Managers try to be heroes. Leaders try to make heroes.
- Often you become extraordinary inspite of not because of. In the face of a challenge, that’s when people become great.
- We are responsible for living in a way that shows others what we we truly believe.
- Integrity is the distance between what you think and do.
- Your beliefs, values and purpose manifest in your work.
- Couple your actions with intentions; too often we say something but don’t do anything about it.
- Narrow the gap between what you know you should do and what you actually do.
- Leadership test: Is anything/one better because of you?
- We all know how good we’ve become. None of us know how good we can be. Try to achieve a little more of your potential so you don’t miss the great opportunity of life.
- The Potential Principle, Mark’s new book, share a process to help you go from where you are to where you want to be
Mark Sanborn’s Live Inspired 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The Bible is the underpinning of my worldview. The River Why, is one of the greatest works of fiction. It really impacted me.
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. What would you do with it? Meet with my financial planner and make sure my family’s needs are met so they can get by, but not so much they don’t have to do anything. Invest the rest in institutions that will outlive me.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? A handful of books and our computer with photos.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? The Apostle Paul who called himself the chief of the sinners, but was also one of the greatest influencers of the Christian faith. I can relate to a really flawed guy who is doing his best.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? A congressman told me at a young age that anytime you give a speech, people always want to be entertained. I’ve replaced “entertain” with engage.
6. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself at age 20? Lighten up. I can be a pretty intense dude. Be serious about what you do, but don’t take yourself to serious.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? If you want to be successful do whatever you do a little better than anyone else who did it by working a little bit harder than any one else did.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe (automatically get new episodes), rate & review (help spread the word!) this podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Today is your day. Live Inspired.