“The first step is to believe you are this thing you want to be.”
Jeff Goins is a blogger, writer, musician, teacher, husband, father, and pursuer of dreams. He was the Communications Director for Adventures in Missions, a nonprofit organization. Yet, his true passion and calling was that of a writer.
He grew up in a small rural farming community and enjoyed playing in his band and acting. Always trying to find a creative, artistic way to express himself.
He strongly believes we all have a creative gift worth sharing with the world. So, if you have a passion for creativity and changing the world, this is the podcast for you.
Today, Jeff joins us to talk about his faith, life, writing and what it means to pursue your dreams.
- He is the author of four books including the national bestseller, The Art of Work, published in March of 2015. The Art of Work debuted on the Washington Post and Publishers Weekly bestsellers list. Prior to The Art of Work, Goins published The In-Between: Embracing the Tension Between Now and the Next Big Thing, Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into Your Comfortable Life, and You Are a Writer (So Start Acting Like One), Real Artist Don’t Starve.
- “Depravity is realizing exactly how horrible of a person you could become.”
- He got a job with CTI Music Ministries and traveled all across America in schools, churches, and prisons playing music and lifting spirits.
- “The moments with people are the best ones.”
- The worst place for us to be in the world is comfortable. Because if your job sucks or your current situation is unbearable…that’s actually a good place to be because you know something has to change. If you want big things out of your life and to live an inspired life and your comfortable, that is the scariest place to be, because there is nothing forcing you out of that place.
- “There was a creative thread throughout my life.”
- “What’s your dream?”
- “Before I can tell my life what I want to do with it, I need to listen to my life telling me who I am.”
- “If you think you can’t, you won’t”
- “Every story of success is a story about community. The self-made man is a myth.”
- “You can join the scene or you can create it.”
- “Success is the gradual realization of a goal.”
JEFF GOINS’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. What would you do with it? I would take some of it and pay off my house, then with the rest, I’d put it into a charitable endowment fund.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? My laptop, no…this painting that my grandfather did of me. He’s the one relative I’m most like.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? C.S. Lewis. I think he is one of the smartest thinkers to walk the planet.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Proverbs, chapter 23, verse 7: “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he”, or “find a group of friends who are not impressed by who you are.”
6. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself at age 20? Start Blogging and also go to counseling. If we can become aware of it, we can work on it.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? He lived a life worth writing about.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe (automatically get new episodes), rate & review (help spread the word!) this podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Today is your day. Live Inspired.