John O’Leary welcomes Grammy-winning gospel singer Erica Campbell to the Live Inspired Podcast.
I am honored to welcome one of the most successful gospel singers of all time, Mrs. Erica Campbell, onto the show. Her achievements, voice, sense of self and faith are profound. Yet it’s her story, first finding her angelic voice at the age of five in church in an impoverished California neighborhood, that will blow you away.
Erica is part of the hit group, Mary Mary, solo artist, wife, mother, Christian and as of very recently, author. In our conversation, Erica radiates positivity, hope + optimism – and it’s infectious. You can’t listen to this episode and not live inspired.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- Falling in love with Jesus allowed her to understand the importance + meaning of the word “love”.
- Tough love: Erica’s father prepared her for the harshness of the entertainment industry.
- When Erica was six years old, her brother Andre Lovell Adkin, who had Downs syndrome, passed away.
- Erica began singing around 12 years old in church + with a group called The Young Annonited but stopped singing after forgetting the words at a big event.
- Mary Mary: After filling in for her sister’s absent singing partner, Erica + Tina began singing together as Mary, Mary and earned four Grammys.
- “There are some things that have been said about me that are harsh. But when they said it, I didn’t lose my gift, my ability to sing.”
- “Everyone can’t be #1. If I’m #5, I am going to cheer on #1 because I know my time is coming.”
- Erica is proud to have her daughter Christa in featured on Grammy-winning track Help.
- Erica’s book More than Pretty was inspired by her inner-journey of finding herself.
- “You have to learn to find your own confidence.”
- Erica met her now-husband Warryn Campbell when he was working at Death Row records with rappers Snoop Dogg and Tupac.
- “If you don’t have confidence in private, you will not have power in public.”
- Get a copy of Erica Campbell’s book More than Pretty here.
If Erica’s positivity and optimism inspired you, you’ll love hearing from Journey’s Jonathan Cain. Jonathan shares about his life, his inspiration behind the song Don’t Stop Believin’ and so much more. Listen to Jonathan on Live Inspired Podcast ep. 100.
ERICA CAMPBELL’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? God is Able by Priscilla Shirer.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? I think I still have it! It’s the ability to be optimistic.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? The picture books of my kids.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? My daddy and I would tell him, “I was listening,” and that his words hit my heart and I’m doing my best to carry out everything that he taught me.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? My mother said, “you can live anything down.”
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Erica, you are going to be amazing. Just don’t quit. Don’t let self-esteem take you down. Don’t make poor body image make you hide in the dark. Don’t think that there is always somebody better than you. Stay focused. Don’t take people personally. Don’t hold grudges. Forgive easy and quickly. Love fiercely.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? She loved God and she loved people.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts!