Go back to: Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 [Haven’t taken the IN AWE 21-Day Challenge? Join here.]

Welcome to Day 4 of the IN AWE 21-Day Challenge! Today, we spark inspiration, meaning and joy by cultivating REUNITING:

“The sweetness of reunion is the joy of heaven.” – Richard Paul Evans

CHALLENGE: Identify a person who made a profound impact on you, but time, distance or “busyness” has led to separation. Now, get ready for a reunion!

INSPIRATION: A large, committed healthcare team was responsible for my recovery. Yet there was no one more impactful or inspirational than Nurse Roy. He taught me to believe I could walk again when many didn’t even think I’d live.

27 years after leaving his care, a client in Alabama reunited us! It was amazing for me and my hero, my nurse, to reunite. Watch the reunion video here.

ACTION: Too often too much goes unsaid between us + those who inspired us to become the best versions of ourselves. Reach out to one friend, coach, teacher or family member thanking them for all they’ve done for you and the impact they still have on you.

Share your “Nurse Roy’s name” and how they inspired you in the comments below or on social media, tagging me + using #inawe. Each day from now until publication (5/5), I’ll randomly pick one person who does to win a copy of IN AWE to gift to a neighbor, favorite barista or as a random act of kindness (because you’ve already preordered copies for yourself, friends + family, right? :).

My friend, today is your day!  Live IN AWE.

Did you know? The 21-Day IN AWE Challenge is inspired by John’s forthcoming book IN AWE. Preorder your copy + follow all the fun behind the scenes at ReadInAwe.com.

• Joyce

I met mine in the emergency room last year. Dr. S stood by my gurney and held my hand and reassured me with words I will not forget. “Joyce, you are here until we get this thing sorted out.” In the weeks to follow she and a wonderful team of doctors and nurses worked together to find the right diagnosis for the puzzling symptoms I presented. She is a well respected rheumatologist but also a kind individual that truly demonstrates her care for patients. She always offered me hope and encouragement.

• Sue

I have been blessed with so many wonderful, positive and inspirational people in my life. However, in reading this challenge one person in particular came to mind – Dionne. I have such a vivid memory of the first time I met her. We were both six years old and had the same piano teacher who had decided to take us to see “King Kong”. When they picked me up, she was wearing a pretty white dress with her curly hair combed just so. I had cut off jeans, a t-shirt and I can almost bet that my hair had not been touched since early that morning before I had headed outside to play. She smiled at me and off to the movies we went. I feel like somehow in that moment I knew she would be my friend for life. The year I lost my father she returned home for about 6 months and worked in the school where I was a teacher. I told her that God had brought her home because he knew that I needed her. It is funny how whenever life presents with rough times; the phone will ring, and I will hear her voice on the other end saying, “Just wanted to check in”. The best is when we are able to get together in person and catch up, laugh, cry, and make memories.

• BJ Fuhrmann

My hero and inspiration was, and still is, my dad – Charles Arends. Dad passed in 2008 but I still talk with him and I know he intercedes on my behalf.

My dad “got” me from the beginning. He encouraged, corrected, and loved me. I still tell the story of the day I called to tell my parents I was divorcing my husband. Their approval meant everything to me and I was terrified of disappointing them. Dad listened and simply said, “I’m sorry. How can I help?” It was exactly what I needed in that minute.

• Claire Weisler

Mine is an assistant coach from high school basketball who taught me a simple trick to increase my free throw accuracy. I have forgotten his name but I will look it up and try to get in contact.

• Cheryl Thompson

So far in to the challenge,this is the easiest one for me. My inspiration is a childhood friend, Jane, who lived in the suburb where all parents were your parents, in a “be home when the streetlights come on” neighborhood. We shared the experience of being the oldest of five children with both families comprised of 4 girls and one boy. We shared stupid jokes, “What is God’s phone number?” “Et cum spiritu tuo” (Yes, still some of the Latin used back then.) We shared dreams and schemes playing Barbies on the hill overlooking a cemetery- it was quiet and there we no younger siblings hanging around. After 8th grade graduation, we went to different high schools and lost touch. I thought of her frequently and hoped her life went well, but never did anything about it. Last year our grade school 50 year reunion brought us face to face. It was as if we hadn’t missed a beat. She was still the perky, beautiful soul I remembered. When we hugged, she said, “You know, I’ve always prayed for you everyday.” What more could anyone wish for from a friend.

• Deanna

Kat
    About one year ago, my boat had overflowed and I was sinking. I was invited to a celebration at my brother’s house and I could no longer keep the disguise of captaining my own ship! Family members and friends sitting across from me at the table saw my breakdown and I had no where to hide. I stormed out of the house on a cold winter night and stood shaking outside. Looking up at the clear night sky I felt a hand upon my shoulder and gentle words” spoken, “Is it true?” My friend Kat’s hand was on my shoulder asking me a question one might have wondered, “of all things to say she asks, ‘Is it true?’” I paused for a long while in silence and then said, “No!” She then looked at the clear winter night sky with me and said, “Then it’s as clear as you can see the stars in the night, tonight. You are beautiful and perfect the way you are.”
    Her question came from words only God knew what to ask and it was the question I had been seeking my whole life.

(Kat continues to be part of my life today. That night was not the only night she came to my aid. Although we don’t spend a lot of time together. We send an occasional blessing, prayer or thought to one another. I have asked her to be my sponsor as I participate in the Holy Sacraments of baptism and confirmation, next spring. The greatest reunion ever!)

• Amanda Preis

It’s funny, but as a child/kid you don’t usually recognize the value of the teachings of a parent. But, looking back, I’d have to say my “Nurse Roy” would be my mom. Eventually, as an adult with a child of my own, my mom and I became business colleagues and even partners in some aspects of our professional work. She always led from the front on health in her wellness office. Only just yesterday, I said to my dad, ” Mom would be so proud of us for all that we are doing to take charge of our health now.” I hope I can offer as much inspiration and light in my friends’, and clients’ lives for their own wellness journeys the way she was for me.

• Amanda Preis

It’s funny, but as a child/kid you don’t usually recognize the value of the teachings of a parent. But, looking back, I’d have to say my “Nurse Roy” would be my mom. Eventually, as an adult wiyh a child of my own, my mom and I became business colleagues and even partners in some aspects of our professional work. She always led from the front on health in her wellness office. Only just yesterday, I said to my dad, ” Mom would be so proud of us for all that we are doing to take charge of our health now.” I hope I can offer as much inspiration and light in my friends’, and clients’ lives for their own wellness journeys the way she was for me.

• Lisa

My professional inspiration was Dianne who provided me with support and mentorship at a turning point in my career. She challenged me to become a better leader and lean into my strengths to drive change. I reached out to her today to say thank you and am appreciative of her continued support even though we are miles apart working for different companies. Life is good!

• Norm

My good friend Steve Acree stuck with me when my life came apart, the anniversary of the final chapter being 10 years ago this week. Through the ugly, the tears, the hopelessness, yet with the belief that even this could be used to grow me and help others…Steve was there. I’m so grateful! #inawe

• Joel

This is definitely another timely challenge message for us considering the challenges we currently face. We all need encouragement, and we all need to know our efforts have made a difference in the lives of others. It was just a few days ago that I made the decision to reach out to many who have impacted me… And now with this challenge, of course I’ll do it. Without a doubt, my wife of almost 19 years is my “nurse Roy”. She has helped me to become a better version of me on just about every level. And, specifically, right now, she is helping me grow and in trust and surrender to the Lord. It’s very intersesting, I, along with a few other people introduced Christianity to Pei (she’s from communist China) 20 years ago. And today, she is the one helping me to stay on course and lean into what God is doing in me and through me. God never misses an opportunity to show us His mercy, His instruction, and His grace. And more often than we probably realize, His actions, intentions, and even His corrections comes through those that we love most.

• Mary

I’m a therapist and my colleague was my Lifesaver today! She gave me information on a free Telehealth secure, compliant site so that I can continue do therapy with my clients. I texted her my heartfelt appreciation

• Al Halpain

My “Nurse Roy” is my former youth pastor Kevin Weber. As a teen, my father was rarely around and took little interest in me. My mother was around, but not emotionally. Pastor Weber took the time to mentor me and show me how to help people spiritually. I now pastor a church because of his encouragement and because he saw a young man desperately seeking training and a father figure.

• Jill Startin

I have two nurse Roy’s. Lynn and Colette. I was in a car accident 4 years ago, ended up with a TBI which I was unaware of, thinking everything was fine – no joke from day one. They told me I’d be fun in a year after I had a brain scan 4 months later. Turns out I wasn’t. I fell asleep at my desk, while driving and couldn’t find good speech or the words for that matter. I went to my PCP Colette and she sent me to St. Luke’s rehab and I steered working with Lynn who changed my life. She was so positive and helpful. She helped me explore and even though she didn’t have all the answers she knew the only way forward for me was to try. Collette stopped and actually listened to me- first doc to do so. Lynn helped me truck forward- always improving. Without those two and their positivity I’m not sure what kind of person I’d be. Cheers to the unknown. Cheers to the growth.