Kurt Warner joins John O’Leary on the Live Inspired Podcast to share a behind-the-scenes look to football, family + faith.
The career of Kurt Warner, Super Bowl and 2-time NFL MVPs, reads like a rags-to-riches fairytale. Yet his story off-the-field I’ve admired even more. Kurt’s dignity and class are undeniable and his example of living faith boldly has changed my own faith walk.
Today, Kurt shares a behind-the-scenes look on the unlikely path to his countless accolades. His heartfelt words about his family and faith will absolutely take center stage. If you could use a dose of character, hope and humanity, this episode is for you.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- Practice shapes us.
- In the NFL, you get 16 opportunities to be under the lights. So that means that 99% if your life is practice. 99% of the impression you leave on people comes from practice… to show people what they are going to get if they show up, you have to show them in practice.
- Apply this in parenting, work, life – it’s all about practice. It’s what shapes you and allows you to lead when you need to get on a soapbox or under the lights as a parent of an athlete.
- Sometimes you have to go through a preparation period to get you ready for what God is calling you to do.
- Keep yourself open: Although Kurt never expected to fall in love with Brenda, her faith, substance + character intrigued him.
- Kurt shares the most impactful moment between him + Brenda’s son Zack, breaking barriers in their relationship.
- We’re never going to let our circumstances define us.
- As Kurt was dealing with being cut from the NFL for the first time, Brenda was reeling from the unexpected death of her parents. It was Brenda’s faith + how she handled her disappointments that shifted his perspective on life.
- Seeing Brenda go through her life struggles + reading the stories of overcoming in the Bible helped give him hope that current circumstances don’t define future potential.
- “As I was sitting on the bench for four years in college I asked God, ‘Why me?’. Now, I ask God, ‘Why me? Why do I get to be the one that has a story like nobody else?'”
- “Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do while you’re waiting to do what you were born to do.”
- Kurt’s bio-pic American Underdog: The Kurt Warner Story will be released in December 2021.
KURT WARNER’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
- What is the best book you’ve ever read? The Bible and I Am Second by Gale Sayers.
- What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? The idea of innocence.
- Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? If I have my wife + children, I have everything I need.
- You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Jesus or one of his disciples.
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Never let your circumstances define you.
- What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? This moment is not the end game. Try to become better in it and know there is something on the other side.
- It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? My greatest legacy is the way I loved my wife, kids, teammates and those around me.
My new book IN AWE is now available… and became an instant bestseller! Learn how to rediscover your childlike sense of wonder to unleash inspiration, meaning and joy. Visit ReadInAwe.com today!
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts!