Former U.S. Secret Service Special Agent Evy Poumpouras joins John O’Leary on the Live Inspired Podcast to share how she lives fearlessly.
What’s your fear? Is that fear serving you or hindering you?
Evy Poumpouras is one of the world’s leading experts of fear. As a former U.S. Secret Service Special Agent, multi-platform journalist and star of Bravo’s Spy Games, Evy has worked protective detail for four U.S. Presidents and is trained by the Department of Defense in the art and science of lie detection, human behavior and cognitive influence.
Today, Evy is going to share her resilient + courageous journey from finding her purpose, serving others on 9/11 + beyond and what it means to truly live fearlessly. This conversation will spark inspiration to find the strongest, fearless version of yourself.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- Evy was raised in Harlem by hardworking Greek immigrant parents.
- During summers, Evy + her brother would return to her grandparents’ small Greek village teaching her humility, appreciation and Greek culture.
- We have to listen to ourselves: Her parents didn’t initially understand Evy choosing a career in law enforcement.
- “If you go through your entire career and never once use your weapon, you’ve had an awesome, productive career. [Your mouth] is far more powerful than [your weapon].” – Sergeant Corrigan of NYPD
- Get people to comply without force by learning how to properly communicate.
- Beyond earning her spot among the most elite, Evy had to prove her talents to earn the respect + acceptance of her male peers.
- “How you define yourself is your choice. How others define you is their choice. It’s up to decide which definition you prefer.”
- Objectively seek the truth: As an interrogator for the U.S. Secret Service, Evy learned to be less judgmental.
- Evy touts the importance and power of active listening in all aspects of our personal and professional lives.
- I will not die afraid: Evy was awarded the Secret Service Medal of Valor Award for her heroism on September 11, 2001.
- Pain is inevitable in life. It’s how you take your pain and turn it into light.
- Finding meaning in tragedy helps us heal.
- Live fearlessly: Understand that it’s okay to be afraid, but don’t become paralyzed by fear.
- If you look at the obstacles you have to overcome, you’ll kill your dream before it ever had a chance to exist. Don’t tell me why it can’t be done. Tell me how it can be done.
- Pre-order a copy of Evy Poumpouras’ book Becoming Bulletproof here.
If you loved hearing from a military hero, you’ll love my Military + First Responder playlist! Hear how Forrest Gump continues to influence Gary Sinise, Jim Lovell’s journey to the dark side of the moon and how one veteran embraces unexpected challenges. Listen to the Military + First Responder playlist.
EVY POUMPOURAS’ LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? Circe by Madeline Miller.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Lightness, focusing on what you can control.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? Nothing.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? My dad. I’d want to know what it’s like where he is now and tell him that he did a good job.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? How are we going to win this fight if we let it crush us?
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Don’t worry about it, everything always works out.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Don’t tell me why it can’t be done. Tell me how it can be done.
Pre-order your copy of IN AWE today to receive access to fun, interactive bonus features emailed to you in the lead-up to the book’s release! Visit ReadInAwe.com.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts!
Live Inspired with John daily on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram+ get his Monday Motivation email.