John O’Leary welcomes Florence Ann Romano to the Live Inspired Podcast to share how to build your village, let love in, and gain the courage to ask for help.
We’re all familiar with the saying “it takes a village”—meaning that for children to grow in a safe and healthy environment, they need to feel supported by an entire community.
Yet when the global lockdowns heightened feelings of loneliness and isolation, Florence Ann Romano had a realization: our villages take us well beyond our childhoods. In fact, it’s been found that those with a strong community and support system are living longer than those without.
Today, Florence Ann guides us through how to build lasting and meaningful connections that define the grounding foundation in your village.
You’ll leave this conversation inspired to build your village, let love in, and gain the courage to ask for help.
- “People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
- Florence Ann’s family taught her how about love as a verb and create an empathy effect.
- Growing up in the same house as her grandparents, and eventually caring for them in their elder years, taught Florence Ann what compassion looked like in action.
- “My mother is everything that can’t be taught but must be learned in life.”
- From starting as a mother’s helper as a pre-teen to becoming a professional nanny for 15 years, Florence Ann strived to be an advocate for the children she cared for.
Did you enjoy today’s episode?
You’ll love my conversation with Radha Agrawal. Radha shares her life-changing strategies, tips, and tricks for making friends that will light your fire and give you the feeling of belonging. Listen to Radha Agrawal on ep. 98.
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.
FLORENCE ANN ROMANO'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
- Q. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
A. The Bible.
- Q. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today?
A. I trusted myself and my instincts.
- Q. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be?
A. A picture of my grandparent's hands.
- Q. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be?
A. My great grandmother.
- Q. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
A. This too shall pass.
- Q. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
A. That teacher, who wrote on your test that you're stupid, is wrong.
- Q. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read?
A. She knew how to love.