Starbucks’ Howard Behar joins the Live Inspired Podcast with John O’Leary to share lessons to nurture + inspire the human spirit through servant leadership.
Hear how Howard influenced the growth of Starbucks, his tips on how to be a servant leader + why leading with values is the best recipe for success.
Can’t watch live? Subscribe to the Live Inspired Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play or iHeartRadio.
- At 15 years old, Howard’s father left his family in Bulgaria to immigrant to Seattle where he saved his money from pushing carts in Pike Place Market to open a small grocery store.
- Not everything we do in life do you need to be paid for. By not charging a struggling family for strawberries, Howard’s father taught him a valuable lesson that influenced how Howard began his work at Starbucks.
- Dreaming of the benefits he’d offer employees if he owned a company, Howard noticed how in sync they were with Howard Schultz, recognized as the modern-day founder of Starbucks.
- Be one of the most well-known and respected organizations in the world known for nurturing + inspiring the human spirit. While a young professor at Stanford, Jim Collins joined to develop Starbucks iconic mission statement.
- Howard Behar’s 6 Ps: Purpose, Passion, Persistence, Patience, Performance and People
- “The person who sweeps the floor should pick the broom.“
- “The enemy of life …. is indifference.”
- Get a copy of Howard Behar’s bestselling books It’s Not About the Coffee and The Magic Cup.
Did you know the Live Inspired Podcast has nearly 4 million (!!!) downloads? Tune into the most downloaded episodes in 2021 featuring the inspiring stories of comic Sebastian Maniscalco, Netflix co-founder Marc Randolph, ABC New’s Paula Faris and more here!
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.
HOWARD BEHAR'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
- Q. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
A. The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown.
- Q. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today?
A. Be less serious.
- Q. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be?
A. My photographs.
- Q. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be?
A. Desmond Tutu.
- Q. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
A. You're capable.
- Q. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
A. Figure out who you are early.
- Q. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read?
A. He set out to nature + inspire the human spirit and guess what he did.