John O’Leary welcomes The Little Couple‘s Dr. Jennifer Arnold to the Live Inspired Podcast to discuss overcoming challenges.
Dr. Jennifer Arnold proudly holds many titles including wife, mom, neonatologist, reality television star and cancer survivor, yet at her core she’s just trying to live her best life while doing as much good as she can.
For 14 seasons, Jennifer, alongside her beloved husband Bill, starred on TLC’s hit docu-drama The Little Couple where they courageously shared their journey to starting a family and the daily challenges they faced.
Today, Jennifer shares how she’s overcome several of life’s challenges including how dozens of childhood surgeries related to her rare type of dwarfism inspired her to become a doctor, how she faced a devastating Stage 3 cancer diagnosis after the adoption of her second child and so much more.
My friends, this conversation is one of hope and reminds each of us that when life gets difficult, lessons become clearer, and the meaning shines through.
- Jennifer was two years old before they diagnosed her with Spondyloepiphyseal Dysplasia, Type Strudwick, a rare type of dwarfism.
- Because her mutation affected all of her joints, Jennifer required more than 30 surgeries usually after a growth spurt.
- Growing up, Jennifer’s parents taught her empathy and to use her circumstances to educated others.
- Before wanting to become a doctor, Jennifer pursued marine biology.
- Jennifer applied to more than 30 medical schools yet only received interviews from two despite having the qualifying grades and test scores.
- Although her surgeon and nurse practitioner tried to set Jennifer up with her now-husband Bill, it wasn’t until she messaged him on a dating site that they fell in love.
Did you enjoy today’s episode?
You’ll love my time with Kechi Okwuchi. As one of two plane crash survivors, Kechi suffered third-degree burns on 65% of her body. With courage, honesty and wit, Kechi shares her journey of healing, her fortitude in becoming a finalist on America’s Got Talent and her boldness in choosing to not be defined by her scars. Hear my conversation with Kechi on ep. 466 now.
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.
DR. JENNIFER ARNOLD'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
- Q. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
A. The Color Purple by Alice Walker.
- Q. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today?
A. More imagination.
- Q. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be?
A. My photo albums.
- Q. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be?
A. Albert Einstein.
- Q. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
A. You have a lot to be thankful for so remember that when times are tough.
- Q. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
A. It does get better and there are a lot of really exciting things yet to come.
- Q. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read?
A. She gave it her all and loved every minute of it.