John O’Leary welcomes journalist Keah Brown to the Live Inspired Podcast for a candid conversation that explores how to better accept, love, and empower ourselves and each other.
Keah Brown, the journalist behind the viral #DisabledandCute, exudes pride, confidence, and humor – but that’s not always been the case.
Through years of introspect, Keah has learned to celebrate her cerebral palsy and strives to bring awareness to the struggles and triumphs of persons with disabilities. Her new book The Pretty One explores her journey to self-love and what it means for you.
This candid conversation explores how to better accept, love, and empower ourselves and each other.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- During her adolescence, others began calling attention to Keah’s disability, leading her to believe it as negative.
- Keah has reformed a friendship with her non-disabled twin sister Leah after a season of resentment in high school.
- Keah put the view of her self in the hands of others.
- “Insecurity is often the catalyst that sparks the most judgment.”
- Every day, Keah would remind herself four things that she loved about herself allowing her to accept + love herself.
- #DisabledAndCute: To celebrate her self-love, Keah posted 4 photos she loved of herself on Twitter that led to a viral campaign.
- Oscar-winning actress Brie Larson personally requested Keah to write her Marie Claire cover story. Read the article here.
- “When you treat having a child with disabilities as the worst possibility in the world of having a child, that means you treat all of us adult with disabilities that we are the worst outcome.”
- Keah sees strength as beyond physical assertions and includes survival + vulnerability.
- Get Keah Brown’s The Pretty One here.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, you’ll love hearing from Live Inspired Podcast guests Ben + Amy Wright, owners of Bitty & Beau’s Coffee which proudly employing people with disabilities. Listen to Ben + Amy on ep. 85 here.
KEAH BROWN’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Fearlessness.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? Photo of my grandma.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Oprah Winfrey and ask “what it means to have an impact and influence on millions of people around the world?”
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Keep going even when it feels like there is no point to it. Push through the fear and exhaustion to make sure you’re doing the things that you love and that matter to you.
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Girl, you’re going to look back on this time and laugh fondly at yourself. You think you have everything figured out. Relax and don’t be so hard on yourself.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Keah Brown changed the world but first, she had to change herself by choosing love in the face of kinds of things.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts!
Live Inspired with John daily on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram+ get his Monday Motivation email.
1 reply on “The Pretty One: A Journey to Self-Love (ep. 174)”
Keah thanks for the reminder that LOVE is the Main Ingredient!!