From Jet-Setting to Just Sitting: Digital Royalty’s Amy Jo Martin on How to Choose Significance over Success
Amy Jo Martin’s company Digital Royalty was wildly successful with partners like Zappos and NBA all-star “Shaq.” She seemed to be on top of the world, when she realized she had a “purpose problem.”
Amy Jo left the business to move into nature and reset. Now, she journals at home in the woods 15 miles outside of Mount Rushmore. She’s again serving as an entrepreneur, angel investor + “the third most powerful woman on Twitter,” but today she’s got her purpose in place.
Join us to hear Amy Jo’s story, see how to choose significance over success and ultimately live more inspired.
Subscribe & listen on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
AMY JO MARTIN SHOW NOTES
- I attribute a lot of things that have gone well in my life to being comfortable with getting uncomfortable, adapting, getting curious + having an addiction to change.
- “Amy Jo, come down to the [Phoenix Suns] locker room now! Shaq wants to Tweet and no one knows how but you.”
- It’s amazing what happens when we stop looking for permission.
- When I was 30, in a room consulting billionaires, I had a trick. I painted my nails red. It was a trigger, because when you lose confidence your head goes down. When I saw my nails, it was a reminder to look up + just own it.
- I had a purpose problem.
- Sometimes you are supposed to let things happen (instead of make them happen). How do you know the difference?
- Amy’s Podcast “Why Not Now?” I got great advice from people I respect (Tony Robbins, Mark Cuban, Jessica Alba). I thought, I should record this to share with others.
- I realized there were probably many times my intuition was screaming at me and I needed to learn to listen.
- Great leaps in life come from intuition.
- If you find yourself hopping onto Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and feeling drained and annoyed: Stop following those accounts. Check in + see how you feel. If you wouldn’t invite them in to have dinner, don’t expose yourself them; they don’t bring you positive energy.
- Live Inspired Podcast Ep. 80 guest Erik Wahl, performance graffiti artist and innovation guru, introduced me to Amy Jo.
- Get a copy of Amy Jo’s book Renegades Write the Rules.
- Learn more at AmyJoMartin.com.
Want more tips on how to better manage technology to live inspired? Check out Ep. #50 with Curt Steinhorst.
AMY JO MARTIN’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Playfulness.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? I have so many journals. Especially my 2011 – 2012 journal when I was really struggling. I’d like to be able to reflect and look back on it and continue to learn from it.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? My great, great grandfather who was the founder of the city that I lived near by. I would ask him about intuition: How do you know how to make things happen v. letting them happen?
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Be where your feet are. Be present. Don’t borrow from yesterday or tomorrow.
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? I would tell her that she has nothing to prove.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Gratitude is a strategy.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe, rate & review wherever you get your podcasts. See you here next Thursday!
Live Inspired with John every day on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram and get his Monday Motivation email: www.JohnOLearyInspires.com/Monday-Morning
If you like this podcast, you will love Live Inspired IN STUDIO. It’s my membership community where like-minded friends join me via live webcast to live inspired together. Registration opens soon! Join the waitlist.
Leave a Reply