How to Win at Life, Sales & Business
On today’s show, I am honored to have as our guest bestselling author, fellow podcaster and a dear friend who has helped influence 250 million lives through his work, Tom Ziglar.
Tom is the son of the great speaker and leader Zig Ziglar.
“You can have everything in life you want, as long as you just help enough other people get what they want.”
This is one of the most popular quotes from Zig and it is absolutely modeled through Tom’s life today. Tom shares about growing up with Zig as his father. How Zig walked the talk he shared with the world.
He shares about falling in love with sales, defines what “sales” really means and early failures he endured as a young president of his father’s company.
These were my main takeaways from our time together:
- “Did you do everything you could? If yes, then you can sleep good tonight.”
- Zig didn’t begin speaking until his late 30s; it’s never too late to start a new path.
- The best advice Zig gave Tom (after he felt he was unfairly treated): “The only taste of success some people have is when they take a bite out of you.”
- Tom defines sales as: Listening and helping people solve their problems
- “Truth doesn’t go out of style. There isn’t much ‘new’ under the sun; we just forget what we once knew to be true.” – John O’Leary
- Zombie Effect: showing up at work barely on time, doing minimal work, never offering his/her opinion. (The academic word is disengaged.) Gallup study shows 60% of employees are disengaged. Imagine a 10-seater bike with only 3 people pedaling. This is a life issue; not just a business issue.
- The cause: They have no dreams.
- The solution: Dream! Then everything you do each day is helping you get closer to it. Help your employees dream; show them you care.
- Get Zig & Tom’s book Born to Win: “You must plan to win. Prepare to win.”
- Live to Win webinar answers this question: “What’s the fastest way to success?” By helping you replace bad habits with good one. Changing one a week for 52 weeks.
- Check out Ziglar Podcast Episode #405 where I was interviewed
Tom Ziglar’s Live Inspired 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
The Lord of the Rings
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. What would you do?
Thank God for someone who lived a good, long life.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be?
Dad’s bible. He underlined it. in fact, I have a lot of his underlined books. That is just priceless.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be?
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
“You are what you are and where you are because of what’s gone into your mind. And you can change what you are and where you are by what goes into your mind.” This is my favorite quote from dad.
6. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself at age 20?
There’s a lot of tempting answers! Don’t start that business! It might be a Dave Ramsey thought – Pay cash for everything! I’d get more financially in-tune early on.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read?
He lived pure and simple by putting the right things into his mind.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, subscribe, rate and review this podcast on Apple Podcasts and anywhere you get your podcasts! You’ll be the first to know when a new episode is available AND you will help grow our LIVE INSPIRED Movement.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Until then, remember: Today is your day. Live Inspired.