“I. YOU. WE. MATTER.”
To the outside world, Matt Emerzian was living the “American Dream”. He was a gifted athlete, successful in the entertainment industry, hung out with famous people, and was living the “Hollywood lifestyle”. Until one Monday morning when it fell apart and his life changed forever.
The author of Every Monday Matters, Matt tells his story of brokenness and the long process of rebuilding his spirit. He now shares his story and experiences around the country, speaking to people about depression, anxiety, and feeling unworthy, unappreciated, and unloved.
Join me and Matt as we talk about his journey back from the dark years to finding a calming and grounded existence.
Subscribe & listen on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- Matt realized his “ladder was leaning against the wrong wall” and thought about taking his life because he felt he didn’t really matter.
- Get Matt’s book, Every Monday Matters which offers 52 ideas for doing something positive.
- One of his father’s favorite sayings is, “good for goodness’s sake” and it is now the motto Matt lives by.
- He grew up playing competitive soccer and even got to play in Germany until he blew out his knee. After that, he picked up water polo and was eventually recruited by UCLA.
- After graduation, he became a band manager in LA. He was having the time of his life. He met and ended up getting hired on the spot by Robert Kardashian. Robert owned one of the largest music marketing companies in LA.
- His definition of success was cliché: be rich, hang out with famous people, be single, etc. Matt “had it all”
- One Monday morning, getting ready for work, his chest started hurting and thought he was going to have a heart attack. A doctor visit confirmed he was having a very severe panic attack.
- “It’s not about you!” His therapist shared this with him and he credits this saying with saving his life.
- Matt’s therapist helped him overcome his panic attacks and unhappiness – and self-acknowledge selfish lifestyle – by spending time each week volunteering. It changed his life and became his favorite part of the week.
- He created a youth curriculum for educators focused on the principles of: “I matter. You matter. We matter.”
MATTHEW EMERZIAN’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? Man’s Search for Meaning, that book just speaks to me. A Purpose Driven Life, the first line of the book was profound to me. Where the Red Fern Grows, it is a story of love, compassion, and heartbreak. It made me feel deeper than I ever imagined before.
2. Tomorrow you discover your wealthy uncle shockingly dies at the age of 103; leaving you millions. What would you do with it? My wife and I would love to own our first home together. Then it would be how can I put those dollars to use to have an impact on communities and people. Along the line of the work I currently do. It would be invested in social good.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? My wife’s childhood blanket. It was a gift from her father.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Jesus and Bono. I see us talking about where it all went wrong and how we can change it. By “it” I mean humanity & our culture. I think Jesus would say, it is time for us to love our neighbors more.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Listen first. I really try to be a good listener and be super present. To learn, yet also to honor whoever I’m talking to.
6. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself at age 20? The road might get bumpy, but have faith. It is OK if your story doesn’t turn out exactly like you thought it would.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Matt Emerzian lived a life that mattered.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe (automatically get new episodes), rate & review (help spread the word!) this podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
I can’t wait to see you here next Thursday! Today is your day. Live Inspired.
Live Inspired with John every day on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram and get his Monday Motivation email: www.JohnOLearyInspires.com/Monday-Morning
Leave a Reply