Four-time New York Times bestselling author Melanie Shankle joins John O’Leary on the Live Inspired Podcast to share she lives on the bright side and finds joy in the ordinary.
Ever had the feeling that you’re not enough or get beat down by monotony, adversity, loneliness or pace of every day?
Melanie Shankle has a beautiful way of speaking to these expected bouts with humor, authenticity and insight. In addition to being a devoted wife, mom and dear friend, Melanie is a four-time New York Times bestselling author, speaker and podcast host.
Today’s down-to-earth and relatable conversation will remind you to step away from comparison and towards finding joy in life’s ordinary moments.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- Her parent’s divorce exacerbated her people-pleasing nature, until her pivotal time at Texas A&M where she found faith, family, friends + football.
- Broken beyond repair: At a low point in college, Melanie attended Breakaway Bible Study which helped her find grace, love and redemption.
- Melanie’s down-to-earth and humorous personality shines brightly in her writing.
- If there is any good there, it’s worth fighting for. In The Antelope in the Living Room, Melanie shares how her marriage to Perry is her greatest blessing + greatest challenge.
- “The most important thing we do is pour into our kids.”
- A friend advised Melanie to show up, listen and let your young child be heard if you want open communication when they’re older.
- Melanie’s latest book On the Bright Side is a reminder to look for joy in ordinary days and step away from comparison + competition.
- Sharing her fears aloud helps Melanie avoid spiraling and hearing how absurd they sound.
- “One of the greatest tricks the enemy can play on us is to convince us nothing is worth the fight.”
- Connect Melanie on her website, Instagram and Twitter.
- Get Melanie Shankle’s book On the Bright Side here.
Melanie shares how she turned opportunities down in order to be a mom to her daughter Caroline. On Live Inspired Podcast ep. 216, Lisa Brennan-Jobs, daughter of Steve Jobs, shared how she’d trade some of his iconic inventions for extra time with him. Listen to our conversation here.
MELANIE SHANKLE’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Total freedom.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? Photo albums.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Mother Teresa because her mission and the way she was able to live her life is amazing, or Alexander Hamilton because I’m reading a book + intrigued about his story.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Sometimes the best part of staying married is being glad later that you did.
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Hang on, it gets better.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? She was full of joy and showed it to everyone around her.
Pre-order your copy of IN AWE today to receive access to fun, interactive bonus features emailed to you in the lead-up to the book’s release! Visit ReadInAwe.com.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts!