Three-time Emmy winner Patricia Heaton joins John O’Leary on the Live Inspired Podcast to share about her “second act” + opportunity for reinvention.
Patricia Heaton is one of TV’s most recognizable and beloved female leads from her role as Debra Barone on the long-standing comedy Everybody Loves Raymond.
Today, the three-time Emmy winner shares about the unexpected + sudden loss of her mother as a child, the pockets of hope that kept her acting dream alive + how she’s thriving in her “second act” of life as an ambassador for World Vision.
This warm conversation will remind you that no matter what stage of life you’re in, crisis can serve as a golden opportunity for reinvention.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- After reeling from the unexpected death of her mother, Patricia’s father found ways to be loving + supportive.
- For nearly a decade of working odd jobs in New York City, enough meaningful encouragement came along the way to keep Patricia’s hope of becoming an actor alive.
- Using the residuals from a commercial, Patricia produced and starred in a play in Hollywood where casting directors came + she started getting auditions.
- After a short mission trip, Patricia refocused her commitment to God and then became a successful actor.
- God gave her both. Today, Patrica is an ambassador for World Vision, where she travels around the globe to witness firsthand their impact in developing countries.
- “Being completely away from the entertainment business + being completely of service to others, cleared my soul and cleared my mind.”
- Humanitarian work gives Patricia her sense of peace, purpose and value.
- Because of the unpredictability of acting, Patricia has adjusted the way she looks at life and appreciates that reality.
- “There are three things Jesus is telling us to do: help the poor, help the poor and help the poor.” – Kathryn Compton, World Vision
- In her book Your Second Act, Patricia shares her stories + those of numerous others that have been faced adversity + have now found their true calling.
- Patricia celebrated two years sober in July.
- Get Patricia Heaton’s book Your Second Act.
PATRICIA HEATON’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Fearlessness.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? My KitchenAid mixer.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? My mom. I didn’t get to know her as her own person.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? “There are three things Jesus is telling us to do: help the poor, help the poor and help the poor.” – Kathryn Compton, World Vision
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Stop drinking and be more disciplined.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? Well done my good and faithful servant.
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.
My new book IN AWE is now available… and became an instant bestseller! Learn how to rediscover your childlike sense of wonder to unleash inspiration, meaning and joy. Visit ReadInAwe.com today!
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts!
Live Inspired with John daily on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram+ get his Monday Motivation email.