John O’Leary welcomes five-time Grammy winner Rudy Pérez to the Live Inspired Podcast to share behind-the-scenes stories of his unprecedented career.
Rudy Pérez is the definition of a music legend and has earned international success by shining the spotlight on others. He’s written + produced hundreds of chart-topping songs for superstars like Beyoncé, Julio Iglesias and Christina Aguilera and has earned five Grammy Awards.
As the first Latin music artist to win Billboard Magazine’s Producer of the Decade, Rudy candidly shares about fleeing Cuba under Fidel Castro’s reign and surviving a street gang. He also shares how he learned to embrace his talents and behind-the-scenes stories of his unprecedented career.
Today’s conversation will remind you that with hard work, dedication and faith, anything is possible.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- Rudy grew up in Cuba during the 1960s when Fidel Castro came into power before escaping to Miami on one of the last Freedom Flights.
- It takes a village: Rudy’s life was shaped by his parents + grandparents but he credits his uncle Enrique for his love of music.
- His mother taught him the importance of hard work in order to purchase his first guitar and amp at 13 years old.
- The Vulcan Gang: During one of his first tasks as a gang member, Rudy was caught and sent to juvenile detention, teaching him a lesson in true friendship.
- “Be the artist.” This heartfelt wisdom from Ronaldo Lluis made a profound impact on a young Rudy + has continued to inspire him to provide opportunities for other young musicians.
- Rudy + music legend David Foster wrote Latin superstar Luis Miguel’s hit Ayer, and inspiration came after watching a movie with his wife Betsy. Ayer became a chart-topper and sold over 11 million copies.
- Rudy and Academy Award winner Burt Bacharach produced Live to See Another Day, dedicated to survivors of school gun violence. Watch the incredible video here.
- Get Rudy Pérez’s book The Latin Hit Maker here.
If you enjoyed hearing from a Grammy Award winner, you’ll love my conversation with gospel singer Erica Campbell. Erica shares her journey of finding her angelic voice, becoming a wife + mother and her faith in God. Listen to Erica on ep. 190.
RUDY PÉREZ’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The Bible, specifically the book of Job.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? My tenacity and curiosity. Curiosity is so important and I wish young musicians today would be more curious about the greats of the past.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? A guitar my wife bought me.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Beethoven, Bach or one of those geniuses.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Happy wife, happy life!
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Love. Love everyone.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? He was the guy that did everything and never said he did anything.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts!
Live Inspired with John daily on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram+ get his Monday Motivation email.
Leave a Reply