John O’Leary welcomes marketing industry innovator Scott Stratten to the Live Inspired Podcast to share the magnitude of having others believe in you and what he wants us all to “unlearn”.
Scott Stratten is president of UnMarketing and was named “Top Five Social Media Influencers in the World” by Forbes.com.
Co-author of six bestselling books with his business partner and wife Alison, Scott helps organizations see their business through his unconventional + disruptive “unmarketing” lens.
Today, Scott reveals the power of having others believe in you, tips you can apply that have helped him evolve as a presenter, and what he recommends you “unlearn.”
This conversation will motivate you to rise above limiting beliefs and take the next best step in your life.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- Captivated by motivational speaker Les Brown, Scott dreamt of using his energy, passion, knowledge and humor to inspire others.
- [Just as Scott admired Les Brown as a child, hearing Capitan Charlie Plumb’s story left me mesmerized. Hear Charlie share how forgiveness + discipline helped him survive six years as POW on Live Inspired Podcast ep. 31]
- High school teachers Mr. Penman and Mr. Bearagen had such a positive effect on Scott, he credits them as the reason he graduated.
- Put the work in. Get the reps. Scott shares how he’s evolved as a presenter and how comedians influence his delivery.
- Watch Scott’s now-viral piece on Millennial bias here.
- “If they’re laughing, they’re listening. If they’re listening, that’s when they’re evolving.”
- Scott shares the meaning behind some of this tattoos including “unlearn” and Gandi’s quote “my life is my message.”
- “It’s not mandatory. You have the right to close these things off and pull away if it’s no longer serving a purpose.” – Scott’s social media philosophy
- “My job isn’t to rehabilitate jerks online. I’m not the jackass whisperer.”
- “Every success in business and life is a combination of luck, timing, skill and effort — and you can only control two of those.”
- “If you believe business is built on relationships, then make building relationships your business.”
- Get Scott Stratten’s popular bestselling book UnMarketing here and his latest bestselling book The Jackass Whisperer here.
Join our Live Inspired Together community, text PODCAST2021 to 314-207-5010.
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.
SCOTT STRATTEN'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
- Q. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
A. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and Permission Marketing by Seth Godin.
- Q. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today?
- Q. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be?
A. My family's passports because traveling together and being able to experience things is everything.
- Q. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be?
A. My grandfather because I didn't ask him everything I wish I had.
- Q. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
A. Just keep going.
- Q. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
A. It would be encouragement to follow the path of passion, hard work and time.
- Q. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read?
A. Treat others how you liked to be treated.