John O’Leary welcomes Steven Curtis Chapman, the most awarded artist in Christian music history, onto the Live Inspired Podcast to share the inspiration of his latest + uplifting single “Together”.
In a career spanning more than 30 years, Steven Curtis Chapman is the most awarded artist in Christian music history selling over 11 million records, earning five Grammy Awards and received a record-breaking 58 golden Dove trophies.
Today, Steven joins us to share the inspiration behind his latest single “Together (We’ll Get Through This)” with friends Brad Paisley, Lauren Alaina and Tasha Cobbs Leonard. When collaborating on the inspiring + uplifting project, Steven saw the need for a message that many of us are desperately seeking: we need each other + we will get through it as one.
In addition, Steven shares the inspiration behind his music, how his family has found comfort after his daughter’s tragic death and the faith he instills in God. This uplifting + timely conversation will remind you that the best of our days do remain in front of us.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- Steven’s first gig in music was with his brother at Opryland Park in Nashville, TN after high school.
- “A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.”
- The inspiration for Steven’s hit “Cinderella” came after tucking his two youngest daughters into bed – despite their protests to stay up and dance – reminding him to cherish those little, meaningful moments.
- Steven shares the touching story of how his oldest daughter Emily’s prayers were answered when they welcomed three adopted children into their family 20 years ago.
- Recognizing a need, Steven + his family created Show Hope to help families with the financial burden of adopting children. Learn more about Show Hope + the over 7,000 families they’ve helped here.
- “You only have so many moments with your Cinderella.”
- A year and a half after writing “Cinderella”, 5-year-old Maria passed away in a car accident. Steven has settled that God was + is there in every dark moment of our lives.
- “God, at times, restrains even himself from charging in and ending every evil + wrong thing.”
- “God wept greater than we ever could have imagined weeping because God created the life of Maria and knew the devastation.”
- “The hope + belief that God is with us has sustained us.”
- The Chapman family made the difficult decision to keep Maria’s legacy alive by speaking of her often and even creating Maria’s Big House of Hope, an orphanage that cared for thousands of children that are medically fragile in China.
- Steven enlisted friends Brad Paisley, Lauren Alaina and Tasha Cobbs Leonard to release “Together (We’ll Get Through This).” Proceeds from the inspiring and uplifting collaboration will benefit the Opry Trust Fund and Gospel Music Association to assist those who’ve been gravely affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Click here to stream and download.
STEVEN CURTIS CHAPMAN’S LIVE INSPIRED 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? The Bible and Loving God by Chuck Colson.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Wonder. It’s probably why I started playing music and writing songs.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? My guitar. I process everything with a guitar in my hand and I have more things I need to process.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? My bride of 36 years Mary Beth Chapman and Corrie ten Boom + her story of The Hiding Place.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Bloom where you’re planted.
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Take your time + try to enjoy the moments because they are going to go by way quicker than you can ever imagine.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? God is faithful.
My new book IN AWE is now available! 100% of the proceeds from all books presold and sold the first week of publication are being donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters. So don’t wait! Visit ReadInAwe.com.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts!