John O’Leary shares an important reminder of unity this Thanksgiving season on the Live Inspired Podcast.
“History teaches us that unity is strength, and cautions us to submerge and overcome our differences in the quest for common goals.” -Haile Selassie
While the tradition of Thanksgiving began around 1621, it wasn’t declared a national holiday for another 242 years. And why is this significant?
In 1863, Abraham Lincoln was President in the middle of the Civil War, a chaotic crisis with profound divisiveness and great uncertainty of our nation. It was then he declared a day to pause and give thanks for the many blessings in our lives that we share.
In a season where it’s easy to further build the walls that divide us, tune in to hear three simple tips that will allow us to focus on the things that unify, bind and heal.
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- Read Abraham Lincoln’s Thanksgiving Proclamation here.
- Three ways to build connections:
- Own the conversation from the start. And I’m not suggesting to get the first word in, be more adamant, and set the stage for winning the debate. Instead, start conversations by speaking (or silently if you prefer!) these words: “I love you. And, no, there is nothing you can do about it.”
- Actively listen as if they are the only person. Busy with the unimportant, we lessen our ability to connect in positive ways with our children (negatively affecting their self-esteem), with our partners (negatively affecting intimacy and connectivity), and with ourselves (negatively affecting our sense of who we are and what actually matters).
- Be passionately curious as if their opinion actually matters… because it does! Ask elucidating questions if you need clarifying information or perspective from another point of view. This allows for the opportunity to elaborate, be heard, educate and perhaps even persuade another. Far from dividing, it actually serves as an awesome opportunity to unite.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, you’ll love learning the longstanding tradition Live Inspired community member Rona’s family does before their Thanksgiving meal. Listen to ep. 206 here.
Delight family, friends, clients & colleagues this holiday season! An instant #1 national bestselling book, many are saying ‘IN AWE is the message we all need right now.’
IN AWE is an invitation to rediscover childlike wonder + unleash inspiration, meaning and joy. Order in quantities of 10, 20, 30 or 75 to get up to 50% off.
Plus, now through Cyber Monday… 100% of profits from purchases on our shop will benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Missouri, an organization near and dear to John’s heart.
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.
Did you enjoy today’s episode? Subscribe, rate + review on Apple Podcasts!