As part of our Electing Gratitude series, Tiffany Shlain, author of 24/6 and founder of the Webby Awards share her expertise on how to enjoy + leverage technology by first setting healthy boundaries.
Does having the world at your fingertips 24/7 ever feel overwhelming?
Do you ever find yourself mindlessly scrolling through social media, only to be left feeling anxious, frustrated and unproductive?
Today, Tiffany Shlain, bestselling author of 24/6 and founder of the Webby Awards, shares her expertise on how to enjoy + leverage technology by first setting healthy boundaries with it! (After hearing the results of her brilliant tips, my entire team has adopted it!)
For more than a decade, Tiffany and her family have practiced a “tech Sabbath” and today’s conversation is packed with actionable tips that will help you reset + rebalance. If you find yourself connecting via technology more than ever during the pandemic… this episode is for you. 😉
Subscribe & listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Play, iHeartRadio or listen here:
- In response to her favorite question, “What are you passionate about?”, Tiffany said she’s interested in inspiring, informing, educating and lifting others to a higher place.
- Moments of crisis can be incredible opportunities to rethink and make changes in your life.
- Her father’s love + attention helped develop Tiffany’s confidence and she credits him with teaching her how to be present + live in the moment.
- Intentionally taking a weekly day of rest is Tiffany’s rhythm and framework to living a good life.
- Tiffany shares how setting boundaries with technology during her morning routine + during dinner has been profoundly important.
- As a mother of two daughters, Tiffany finds that boundaries with techology have taught them how to entertain themselves and quiet the outside noise.
- “Be careful + intentional with who and what you let into your brain + give your brain breaks.”
- To help maintain her daughter’s childhoods, Tiffany took the Wait Until 8th pledge which delays providing a smart phone until they’re in 8th grade. Learn more about the Wait Until 8th pledge here.
- Get more tips + resources on taking a disconnecting from technology at TiffanyShlain.com and at 24sixlife.com.
- Get a copy of Tiffany Shlain’s bestselling book 24/6.
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.
My new book IN AWE is now available… and became an instant bestseller! Learn how to rediscover your childlike sense of wonder to unleash inspiration, meaning and joy. Visit ReadInAwe.com today!
TIFFANY SHLAIN'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
- Q. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
A. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse.
- Q. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today?
A. Enthusiasm, which I still have a lot of today. I used to laugh a lot more as a child.
- Q. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be?
A. Photo albums and my dad's watch.
- Q. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be?
A. My dad.
- Q. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
A. My mom taught me to enjoy the process.
- Q. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
A. Be patient.
- Q. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read?
A. Turn off screens one day every week to enjoy life to the fullest.