John O’Leary welcomes winner of NBC’s The Voice Todd Tilghman to the Live Inspired Podcast as he shares how to continue towards ever-present joy.
Despite no music or vocal training, Todd Tilghman made it through NBC’s The Voice blind audition (with all four celebrity judges vying to coach him!) and went on to win season 18, becoming the oldest winner in show history.
Drawn to his tremendous joy onstage, fans gravitated to his much-needed inspiration when facing challenges.
Today, Todd shares how decades of unrelenting challenges in marriage, international adoption + career changes have brought him perspective and reminded him to celebrate the small steps along the way in achieving goals.
Join us to hear the lessons Todd has learned and the strategies that continue to move him toward ever-present joy.
- Grow Old With Me: Todd shares meeting his wife of two decades Brooke, the challenges early in their marriage and mending their relationship when it was seemingly broken beyond repair.
- “If love is all about you, it is not love.”
- Inspired from 2 Corinthians 4:17, Todd wrote in his journal, “your suffering is not forever and your suffering is not for nothing,” providing him beautiful and remarkable perspective on life.
- Around 2017, Todd was compelled to step away as lead pastor and explore other avenues, leading to auditioning for NBC’s hit singing competition The Voice.
- Award-winning judges Blake Shelton, John Legend, Nick Jonas and Kelly Clarkson all vied for Todd during blind auditions.
- “On paper, our lives look very full but hardly remarkable unless you look for the small wins. Huge achievements get noticed but if Brooke and I had waited around to find joy until we got the big win we would have missed out on the amazing life we’ve lived.”
- Get a copy of Todd + Brooke Tilghman’s book Every Little Win here.
About our sponsor: Keeley Companies wholeheartedly believes that if you get the people right -the results will follow. They set themselves apart with a forward-thinking culture that empowers their people and fosters loyal partnerships. Keeley Companies are a proud sponsor, partner, and super fan of the Live Inspired Podcast. Learn more about Keeley Companies.
TODD TILGHMAN'S LIVE INSPIRED 7
- Q. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
A. Aside from the Bible, the series The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Q. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today?
A. Faith. When you’re a kid you believe anything is possible.
- Q. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be?
A. Either a photo album or a laptop with the photos on them.
- Q. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be?
A. My Granny.
- Q. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
A. "On a grand scale and on a small scale, you’re not going to agree with everyone but that doesn’t mean they are any less deserving of the fullness of your love and respect."
- Q. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
A. Believe in yourself and go for it earlier.
- Q. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read?
A. Todd loves you.