Rowan Hooper shares 11 Ways to be SUPERHUMAN on the Live Inspired Podcast
What makes someone superhuman? A cape? Blue tights? An ability to fly? Rowan Hooper was curious about the subject and, instead of turning to Marvel, Superman or the X-Men franchise for answers, he travelled the world. Rowan found the finest examples of individuals who personify the 11 ‘super-human’ traits. Today he shares what his research means for us.
Grab your journal, your cape (put it on!) and get ready to soar into life with Rowan Hooper.
ROWAN HOOPER SHOW NOTES
- “People who try lots of different things are more likely to find things they really like and are really good at.”
- Check out this recent article from chess grandmaster John Nun who Rowan shares innately understood math since age 4.
- “IQ itself is quite stable throughout life, but it does not guarantee personal outcome. Lots of people who are incredibly successful do not have particularly high IQs.”
- Memory, on the other-hand, is something we can all improve with tricks and practice.
- John and Rowan discuss the Marshmallow test check it out.
- This video shares the story of Ellen McArthur, the British sailor, Rowan talked about her drive + her world record for fastest solo circumnavigation of globe.
- What have you learned about focus, that we can apply as we try to sell more insurance + lead better lives? “It’s about having a goal, something you want to do in the future or something you need to complete in the next hour. Either way, identifying the reason for doing it + keeping it clear in your mind. It doesn’t have to be dramatic. Identifying a goal and finding steps towards it will help you achieve that goal.”
- “That moment her life changed + she chose to make something of it. She was empowered by this appalling thing that happened.”
- With longevity comes happiness. People I met over 100 had an incredible positivity, can-do attitude + innate happiness.
- Get back up again and carried on. that is something we can all strive to do a bit more, not to get disheartened or knocked down. to carry on. they had a curiosity about life, that trait did seem to be spread across all the people I met in different ways.
- Get a copy of Rowan Hooper’s book SUPERHUMAN here.
If you enjoyed thinking about what you can do to improve your business, life + impact through Rowan’s insights: Check out episode #103 with Brené Brown to get tips on how to improve your leadership through vulnerability. Or, episode #98 with Radha Agrawal on how to improve your sense of community + feel more connected.
ROWAN HOOPER’S Live Inspired 7
1. What is the best book you’ve ever read? Lonesome Dove, Larry McCurty. It’s an American Western, the characters in it stay with you forever, just like Huckleberry Finn.
2. What is a characteristic or trait that you possessed as a child that you wish you still exhibited today? Intensity of focus + ability to become obsessively interested enough to delve in and find new things.
3. Your house is on fire, all living things and people are out. You have the opportunity to run in and grab one item. What would it be? A steal box with old travel journals and photos. The reason it is in a steal box is that if there ever is a fire, it can survive.
4. You are sitting on a bench overlooking a gorgeous beach. You have the opportunity to have a long conversation with anyone living or dead. Who would it be? Charles Darwin. He was my hero growing up because he was an incredibly wise and passionate man who changed our world. The first question I’d ask: What do we do now about understanding the world? I’d try to update him and then ask his advice.
5. What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Do what you want to do. Don’t force people to do things they don’t want to do. Let them find their own way.
6. What advice would you give your 20-year-old self? Don’t drink so much! Just enjoy your youth. Feel it while you’ve got it.
7. It’s been said that all great people can have their lives summed up in one sentence. How do you want yours to read? He was a nice guy, did a few cool things and inspired people with the stories he told of other people.
If you enjoyed today’s episode: Subscribe, rate & review on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. See you here next Thursday!
Get a John’s #1 National Best-selling book ON FIRE here (use code podcast at checkout for 15% off).